Monday, June 23, 2008


                       BLOOMING BEAUTIES













I had ordered three Amaryllis bulbs from a mail order company. The bulbs came from Holland. Since Amaryllis bulbs have done well in my yard rewarding me with huge blooms and multiplying year after year I thought of adding some exotic varieties. One bulb which is called 'Papilio butterfly' has  sent two shoots with these pale chartreuse beauties.

They are unusual in color. Hoping they would multiply and bloom happily in my garden. Just the other day I was complaining that the heat is brutal to our flowers.  These blooms are like breath of cool and fresh air ! At least I got to wield my camera to immortalize these blooms.

This evening I was just glancing outside and saw my Champa Alba bearing flowers ! The smell was intoxicating.  I got transported to India where whenever we passed these trees they assaulted us with their heavenly fragrance.

I left India 31 years ago but the fragrance of flowers have never left me. The unmistakable smell of Jasmine, the indescribable smell of old roses,tuberose and of course the Golden yellow Champak  have stayed with me. They are forever stamped on my olfactory senses.

This association of certain smells and fragrances with a particular geography is what makes one go back in time and revisit those places in one's mind.

The past is forever embedded in the present blurring boundaries between time lines.
And I don't need a time machine to go back and forth between my native land and my adopted land !

2 comments:

Niels Plougmann said...

Very well written how certain flower fragrances makes us remember places.

Deepu Vasudevan said...

Jacaranda,
Did you take these pictures? They are LOVELY.
No plants this summer/spring?

P.S. Your Philosopher at large blog does not have a comments section?